Skip to content
- AARP has two videos Dialysis Dilemma – Inside E Street and the follow-up discussion Dialysis Debate – Inside E Street that discuss RPA/ASN guidelines and their implications for elderly dialysis patients. The Dialysis Dilemma video features Coalition chair and RPA/ASN working group chair, Alvin Moss, MD.
- Hemodialysis Mortality Predictor helps identify 6- and 12-month prognoses of dialysis patients. Programmed by Stephen Fadem, MD, FASN, and Joseph Fadem.
- In Shared Decision-Making in the Appropriate Initiation of and Withdrawal from Dialysis, Clinical Practice Guidelines, recommendation 7 suggests considering a time-limited trial of dialysis for patients who have an uncertain prognosis, or for whom a consensus cannot be reached. The article “Time-Limited Trials Near the End of Life” is a good example.
- The Coalition for Supportive Care of Kidney Patients’ continually updated Bibliography provides citations for clinical practice guidelines, position statements, books, and journal articles on a variety of topics, including advance care planning, CPR, hospice, pain management, withdrawal from dialysis, and end-of-life decision making.
- The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation’s Promoting Excellence: End-Stage Renal Disease Workgroup Recommendations to the Field describes the need for palliative care in the ESRD population and presents the methods, findings, recommendations, and products of the Promoting Excellence ESRD Workgroup.
- Assessing Decision-Making Capacity by Alvin Moss, MD, offers instructions on this critical process.
- Core Curriculum on Palliative Care for Nephrologists, American Journal of Kidney Diseases, 43.1 (Jan 2004): 172-185. Written by Alvin H. Moss, MD, Jean L. Holley, MD, Sara N. Davison, MD, Richard A. Dart, MD, Michael J. Germain, MD, Lewis Cohen, MD, and Richard D. Swartz, MD.
- Quick Reference Card for Pronouncement of Death
- RPA and ASN Position Statement on Quality Care at the End of Life